Monday, May 4, 2009

Exercise Tip - Monday May 4

Hello Ladies! Today's health tip is something that is good for beginners of exercise. I thought it would be appropriate to write about how to make exercise a part of our every day living. Since we are working on our 15 minutes a day, these are a few good tips on how to get them in at home. We may not have a gym membership but this just goes to show that we don't need one. A lot of little activities can add up to a lot of calories burned. Keep that in mind as you go throughout your day. I hope you can use some of these and then comment on them. Let me know how they have worked (or not worked) for you.

Physical Activity in Your Daily Life

At Home
It's convenient, comfortable and safe to work out at home. It allows your children to see you being active, which sets a good example for them. You can combine exercise with other activities, such as watching TV. If you buy exercise equipment, it's a one-time expense and other family members can use it. It's easy to have short bouts of activity several times a day. Try these tips:

  • Do housework yourself instead of hiring someone else to do it.
  • Work in the garden or mow the grass. Using a riding mower doesn't count! Rake leaves, prune, dig and pick up trash.
  • Go out for a short walk before breakfast, after dinner or both! Start with 5-10 minutes and work up to 30 minutes.
  • Walk or bike to the corner store instead of driving.
  • When walking, pick up the pace from leisurely to brisk. Choose a hilly route. When watching TV, sit up instead of lying on the sofa. Better yet, spend a few minutes pedaling on your stationary bicycle while watching TV. Throw away your video remote control. Instead of asking someone to bring you a drink, get up off the couch and get it yourself.
  • Stand up while talking on the telephone.
  • Walk the dog.
  • Park farther away at the shopping mall and walk the extra distance. Wear your walking shoes and sneak in an extra lap or two around the mall.
  • Stretch to reach items in high places and squat or bend to look at items at floor level.
  • Keep exercise equipment repaired and use it!

4 comments:

Mary Lynn said...

Awesome tips! Thank you Alisa. I'm going to go change the laundry and fold some and then walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes. I've already showered, but oh well. Guess I'll be stinky. haha ;)

Alisa said...

I did my 15 minutes. Grocery shopping is a vigorous workout!! Carry the bags to the car...carry them to the house...carry them to the kitchen...put them away. I worked up a sweat!!

Kayla said...

Wahoo! Great tips! And I so hear ya on the grocery shopping. I also did my 15 mins. I put some weed and feed on my front lawn. It was enough for me!! {wink}

De Ana said...

Ok, well then how does dealing with three kids getting them in and out every day taking S to school, and taking them to the grocery store compare. Is that a mental workout or a physical one?

Archive