Monday, July 20, 2009

Holes

The other day I was thinking I wanted to make my blog INSPIRATIONAL. I know there aren't a ton who read it, but I thought, I want people to read my blog and check my blog and come away uplifted, or inspired. So, I merged my Wellness Blog with this one so I could just do it all in one. Some posts I might have an inspirational slide show, or a cute Scrapbook Page, or a Wellness topic, etc. But don't expect too much, I'm not sure I'm a very inspirational person ....

Which leads to my title. I'm not sure this is a very inspirational post ....

Today I had an Echocardiogram on my heart and they found a hole in my heart. Many things have led up to this test and I was glad they found one ... cause otherwise I was starting to feel like I was crazy. Many people told me it was probably just in my head and I was starting to think I was just making the headaches up.

So, let's go back. 9 1/2 years ago soon after Gary and I got engaged I had a blood clot go to my lung and was in the hospital for 5 days. Since then my doctor said I would always be at risk for blood clots and would never be able to be on any form of hormones and they were always worried when I was pregnant that I could get another clot. A year after M was born, my Doctor had a stroke and he found he had a hole in his heart. He was in great shape and the only reason he had a stroke was because he was water skiing and the extra activity pushed the clot through to his brain. When I got pregnant this last time, they were concerned because I told my new Doctor that my brother and my dad had also had strokes. They put me on baby aspirin and ordered an Echo to be done, but for whatever reason the Doctor they sent me to didn't dare do it while I was pregnant. My first Doctor would come to some of my OB visits and he told me that they were finding that people who have Migraines and vision loss with migraines have a tendancy to a hole in their heart and he thought for sure I had one and wanted me to go to Salt Lake to his Doctor. I was so upset after the one Dr. in Pocatello wouldn't do the Bubble part of the test I didn't want to do it again. I had already paid for it once. It just made me really mad.

So last Saturday, I got a headache when I was driving around during a Scavenger Hunt for our Family Reunion and then the next night (the night of my birthday) I woke up with shooting pains in my head and Monday my head was still hurting. So I called my Doctor and they told me to come in. They ordered another Echo here in Blackfoot which I went to today. He saw that I do have a hole, or technically a PFO (Patent Foramen Ovale) or an ASD (Atrial Septal Defects) in my heart which looks like on a scale of 1 to 5 it was a 1 to 2 at rest and a 5 plus when I was bearing down. He said he would suggest still going to Salt Lake to have another part of the test done ... a Trans-Cranial Doppler (TCD). Of course my Doctor isn't in the office today or tomorrow, so I will see what they want me to do on Wednesday.

I still have a headache also .... maybe I have a toothache as well. I should go to the dentist too. haha

The Radiologist that did the test today said that if one of the parents have this history that 50% of the children will have one as well. So far 40% of my parents children has a hole. {wink} My Grandpa Humpherys also had a stroke which adds to my family history. I know that some of my Uncles and Aunts have heart problems as well.

So, those are the details for those who wanted to know. I'm grateful to know that the tests weren't done for nothin' and I feel that things will be well. I'm also grateful for all the knowledge and advances that there are these days. I read that years ago the causes of strokes were unknown and now they are starting to see why they are happening which can prevent them and prolong life. What a wonderful thing!

I'm not sure this post was very inspiring but I hope it will let those who do care know what's going on and that you are all having a good day!

8 comments:

MOM said...

Thanks for that detailed update. I am one who cares. Very nice blog, I read all the time. I'm grateful for good doctors and the opportunities to fix these kinds of problems.

Michelle said...

Wow!!! Oh my gosh, that is so scary. I'm glad they know what you have now and that there is great modern medicine to save lives. too bad it's so expensive huh? But definitely worth it. I didn't know Kelly and Kenny had strokes. when did they have them?

Mel said...

How scary, but I'm so glad they found it before you had any more serious problems. And from what I've heard it's a pretty routine procdure to have it fixed. I'll be thinking about you. Good luck with everything. And by the way I'm one who reads your blog and I can always use a little inspiration!

DeAna said...

I too always read your blog and appreciate your updates and with so much detail. I'm inspired because now I'm wondering if I should get that test done too. I'm not looking forward to that, but definitely want to know if I'm part of that 50 or so %.
Love to you. You'll be in my prayers.

Kayla Evans said...

I LOVE YOU ML! You are my best friend!!! I am so glad that you were able to find something out before something worse happened. I too am grateful for the way that medical is now and that they will be able to fix you all up! {wink} I hope that your headaches clear up....they really are horriable! Let me know if there is anything that I can do anytime. I am always here for you!!! Luvs....ME

Pearl Girl said...

WOW, I am glad they FINALLY figured out what the problem was. That is scary. But I am sure everything will go well for you. Good luck,and let me kow when you want to have another Craft day.

Hilary said...

I too am thankful for you, your blog and your doctor who stuck with his gut feeling on you. Thanks for sharing your ordeal and please let us know if you need anything to help.

Alisa said...

Wow ML. That is crazy. I am glad you at least know what is going on. When will you know more? I think I should tell Barry he needs to get checked as well. I hope you are doing all right and handling everything. Let me know if you need anything.

Archive