Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Transesophageal Echo

I'm not sure that is spelled right .... and not in the mood to look it up. {haha} That's the procedure I had done yesterday. It was rather interesting. We had to be at the hospital at 7:30 a.m. We were there a little early and got all the paperwork filled out and then were brought up to Cardiology to start getting prepped for the procedure. The nurse was really nice and fun. She had to comment about how low my BMI was cause usually it's the other way around. I get tired of that sometimes, but oh well I guess. We ended up having to wait a bit for the guy who helps do the echo while my doctor puts the tube down my throat.

They finally came and gave me some medicine in a breathalizer or whatever those things are called they use to give breathing treatments. It was nasty tasting ... but I was assured it wasn't as nasty as the stuff they used to give. When my brother had it done they said it tasted like carburator fluid. So I'm happy about that! That stuff numbed my tounge and throat. Then they gave me some medicine in my IV that made me tired and not able to remember anything. So I don't remember anything that happened after that. They also told Gary he needed to leave during the procedure which I wasn't happy about, but I guess some family members freak out if they see their "loved one" choking on the tube. {haha} I know Gary wouldn't have freaked out but oh well I guess. The last thing I remember is them telling me to swallow and then to blow and then they were asking me if I was waking up. That was weird. I don't like not knowing what is going on. They told me that I did really well and was awake and did everything they needed me to do. Gary said he was only gone for a few minutes. They confirmed that I do have a hole. Technically an ASD (Atrial Septal Defects). They couldn't say if there is an actual size because it will be small if I'm at rest or it gets bigger the more exertion I am doing.

I will be having the procedure done to close it this Friday. I am excited to have it fixed but also nervous. So, more posts to come ....

7 comments:

DeAna said...

I know I'm a bawl baby, but that made me want to cry. How are they going to repair the hole?
Aren't you so grateful for Dr. Dixon pestering you about this? I mean, you totally dodged some bullets by getting this fixed. Miracle of modern medicine!

Pearl Girl said...

Thanks for posting the details, I have been very curious. I hope you will be feeling better. It just really freaks me out to picture it being done, mostly because Chase will have to do this someday. Good luck

Audrey said...

That anesthesia stuff is freaky, I felt the same way when I had my tonsils out...wierd that one second you're breathing/counting/whatever and the next you're waking up. But so glad you're not dealing with what's happening while you're out!

Mel said...

Good Luck on Friday. That's great that they can get to fixing it so quickly. I'll be thinking about you.

Michelle said...

oh my goodness, wow you poor thing I'm so sorry. I'm glad you're getting it fixed and that they actually can fix it these days.

Melanie said...

That is so scary...I hope you recover well. I am so sorry. Our prayers are with you and your family. Love ya.

Annie said...

Good luck with the surgery. I am nervous for you but I know it's the best option and that you need it. You'll be in my thoughts!!!

Archive